1. Frozen towels. Take a dish towel, wet it, wring it out, fold it and put it in the freezer. Later, you can take it out and drape it over your head and neck. Instant cooling. Make sure to replace the towels as you take them.
2. Bowl of ice and a fan. Most of the homes in this area do not have AC. Try this trick. Get a bowl of ice or a series of frozen water bottles and sit it behind the fan. It will draw the coldness of the ice through the fan and spread it over the room.
3. Frozen bottles of water. I always keep bottles of frozen water in my freezer. It takes up space, making the freezer more efficient. If power goes out, I can transfer some to the frig to keep the perishables cool and you can always take a bottle out and wrap it in a towel and set it on the back of your neck.
4. Hydrate. You really need to remember to drink lots of water in the heat.
5. Get out of the house and go some place with AC - work, movies, the mall, etc...