1. When John F. Kennedy was shot (11/22/1963)
I wasn't even a thought.
2. When Mt. St. Helens blew (5/18/1980)
I was living in Belgium. I didn't hear about it for some time after the explosion.
3. When the space shuttle Challenger exploded (1/28/1986)
I was in a room off of the high school cafeteria. I had given up my lunch hour to watch the shuttle launch. I think I was one of five or six other 'gifted' students who witnessed it in my school. I remember I burst out crying when it happened.
4. When the 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco (10/7/1989)
Marching in the main Quad of the University of Portland. After I got out of drill practice for the AFROTC assembly, I ran into a kid from Oakland who wanted to know if my family was alright. When I didn't understand what he was talking about, I was told that "the big one" had hit the San Francisco bay area. It took me two frantic hours to get through to my parents.
5. When the Berlin Wall fell (11/7/1989)
In class at the University of Portland. It didn't really affect me that much. But, it really affected my friend, Dawn, who had lived in Germany for a couple of years.
6. When the Gulf War began (1/16/1991)
I had just returned to the University of Portland. It was also on that day that I discovered that my brother, who was in the Navy at the time, had been shipped out to parts unknown to be part of the war effort.
7. When OJ Simpson was chased in his White Bronco (6/17/1994)
No idea. I thought the whole thing was silly.
8. When the building in Oklahoma City was bombed (4/19/1995)
I was in a senior staff meeting for StarQuest 95, the sci-fi/fantasy convention I put on in August.
9. When Princess Di was killed (8/31/1997)
I was at a gaming convention. I remember it being the one and only time I had ever seen britgeekgrrl cry.
10. When Bush was first announced President (11/7/2000)
I don't know. Probably at work.
11. When the 6.8 earthquake hit Nisqually, WA (2/28/2001)
I don't know.
12. When terrorists knocked over the World Trade Center (9/11/2001)
I was in bed, sleeping. I didn't discover it until I got to work and noticed the headlines on Yahoo.